Monday 2 January 2017

Wall of whales

I was going to write a post about fairy gardens and/or finances today. However, after finding out that my favourite orca - Granny - is missing and presumed deceased, this post will be about whales instead. Granny is the oldest orca known (believed to be 106) and the beloved matriarch of J-pod. She was a constant reminder of how much better and longer orca can live when not kept in captivity. Thousands of tourists (and locals) on the west coast take whale-watching boat tours each year with the hope of catching a glimpse of the famous Granny. My favourite animal for most of my life has been the beautiful white tiger. However, since moving back to B.C. and having a couple of special encounters with the magnificent orca, they are now in the #1 spot (with humpback whales close behind). Here is a photo from one of those encounters:



This seemingly has nothing to do with tiny houses. However, several months ago, my daughter and I found a Sue Coleman tile with a humpback whale. I decided that it would make a great focal point for my kitchen backsplash.

Since then, I have become a little obsessed with making a bit of a whale theme for my new home. After several months of looking, I have now found an orca suncatcher for my bedroom and three orca prints that will go above the kitchen window on the same wall as the backsplash. I also have a number of orca postcards and my own photos that may be incorporated if I choose to go with a collage-style "wall o' whales" collection (although it may well make it too "busy" for the space). I would also like to incorporate a haida-orca stencil in some way on the exterior of the home if I can figure out something that is inexpensive and that will look nice.

If you are truly gone, Granny - rest in peace! You will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment