Saturday 7 January 2017

Buy, build or hire?

How to get your tiny house built is a major decision. I know that some people with little or no previous building experience have built their own tiny homes. However, for me, that option was - in spite of the lower cost - an easy no. First of all, I did not have months of free time available. Secondly, I am pretty sure I would have a few less fingers if I started using power tools. And finally, I know myself and even if I were to attempt a build, I know that it would be the little (or big) mistakes that would stand out to me instead of the sense of accomplishment from finishing a big project.

I was open to buying used and did look at a few. Most of the ones I've seen listed were too small for my needs/wants and all came with a loft bedroom, something I had decided against. I may have been able to save a bit of money by finding a used or half-finished house but I wasn't willing to settle for less than what I really wanted.

The final option - to hire a builder - is the one I chose to go with. I took great pleasure in designing the space and know that it will be built to suit my individual needs. I found a builder at one of our tiny house Meetup groups. Although he had never built a tiny house before, he had decades of experience as a contractor and was nearly as excited about the project as I was. That enthusiasm went a long way towards my decision to hire him! That decision will cost me a lot of money - over $20,000 in labour costs - but I think it will be worth it to know that everything has been done properly and safely and that the cohesive professional look of my home will be visually appealing both inside and out. I can't wait to see my finished home!

No comments:

Post a Comment