Wednesday 26 July 2017

Tiny House Advocacy

Although the news of not being able to move to the Hollow was very difficult, two good things have come out of this delay.

First of all, it has forced me out of my comfort zone and into a role of advocacy. An email I sent to Saanich councillor Fred Haynes led to a meeting with me and about ten other tiny house enthusiasts. Fred is a strong supporter of tiny houses and other affordable housing alternatives. The meeting led to the forming of an advocacy group that will start working on public education and awareness through events and media coverage as well as trying to work with municipal councils to get zoning bylaws changed to allow tiny homes.

In terms of advocating for myself, Cyndy and I met with the city planner for Central Saanich. Although it only reinforced what we already knew for the most part, it was still a good meeting and the first step to working together. I have drafted a pilot project proposal to request an opportunity for Cyndy and I to test out living tiny before Council decides on any blanket changes. It would have to be approved by Council as well as the Agricultural Land Reserve Commission so I think it is a long shot. Nonetheless, we have nothing to lose by trying!

The second good thing is friends. Between meetings and conversations with the advocacy group and getting together with Cyndy to talk about our predicament, I feel that I am developing friendships that will extend beyond just working on tiny house stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment