Thursday 29 December 2016

Designing Happinest

My design for Happinest has been revised at least a hundred times since I started. I have countless computer variations, hand-drawn variations and, since finding my builder Jamie, Sketchup variations. I've even drawn the layout and cut out little pieces of furniture cut to scale that I could move around on my blank model.


Even now, in spite of the fact that I have signed the contract with the builder, I am quite sure there will be minor revisions to come once the build actually gets underway.

My tiny house will be built on a 28-foot trailer. It features plenty of windows and french doors as plenty of natural light was my top priority. It will have a shed roof and cedar siding (with a bit of a decorative flair on one corner). The interior walls will be white tongue-and-groove. This is an early Sketchup version but will give you an idea of the design.




Although my original concept was for a loft bedroom, the layout will now feature the bedroom on the main floor. This is going to be my forever home and my knees will not be happy about climbing ladders and crawling around in lofts as I continue to get older. There will still be a sleeping loft (for visitors and - hopefully someday - grandchildren) with a railing at the front as well as a smaller storage loft over the bathroom. The loft ladder will be detachable so that the same ladder can be used on the rare occasions that I want to access the storage loft. The bedroom will have a small cubby for jackets and shoes and a larger closet to one side of the bed. The mattress will be on a raised platform to allow for extra storage below.

The bathroom will have a low-flush toilet, small vanity and a shower and will have a barn-style door that will be custom-made to include an artwork print.

There will be a galley-style kitchen with cupboards, counter and a seating area on one wall and counter, double-sink, and refrigerator on the other wall. There will be a backsplash against this counter and big long window on each side of the kitchen. I will have a convection microwave and a plug-in 2-element stovetop but no range. There will be a combination washer/dryer hidden under the counter with the sink (it may have to wait for a while as it is a big expense but there will at least be a spot for it).

The living room will feature a full-size sofa, small bench seat (with storage underneath) and a fold-down end-table (expandable for extra dining space when I have guests). There will be a wall-mounted electric fireplace and television. There will be a half wall between the living and bedroom area with shelves/storage on either side. A curtain on the bedroom side can be drawn across for privacy if I have houseguests. There will be dog-friendly vinyl flooring throughout that will be easy to clean and that will resist clawmarks from Nova chasing a tennis ball the length of the house.

I had hoped to incorporate some off-grid features such as solar panels and a composting toilet. However, the project is already coming in well above the budget that I'd hoped for so these will have to be put on hold. As much as possible, we are building with the options of adding off-grid elements as money allows.

One of the best things about tiny houses is being able to custom-design your space to meet your tastes and needs. It has been a fun project that has occupied a great many hours. It will be thrilling to watch my design come to life as the build unfolds!


No comments:

Post a Comment