Tuesday 19 June 2018

What I would change if I could redesign

My builder is about to embark on his second tiny house build. Having lived in my house for eight months now, I decided to send him some feedback on what I love and what I'd change if I could go back and redesign my home.

I love the fact that the loft has a landing instead of just a single level. This makes cleaning, making the bed and getting dressed much easier. And I love the overall layout and feeling of the house - other than the bathroom, it doesn't feel tiny at all. I like the fact that there is still room for Nova to get to a full run to chase her ball. And although I only use it when I have company, I like that the bench over the wheelwell offers seating as well as storage. And I like that the kitchen sink cover hides my dirty dishes.

The things I would change are: adding a ceiling fan, making the bathroom slightly larger and kitchen cabinetry. And I would have the electrical panel and hot water heater put elsewhere - as they are hard to get to if needed and they also prevent me from getting cabinetry built in the future. There were a few nights that the fireplace did not keep the house sufficiently warm so I would probably also change that. I'll probably skirt the house in the fall so that might be enough to make it a bit warmer. If not, I will put in new heating of some kind. I also think that the Separett is probably a better choice for composting toilets - there are a couple of design flaws in the Nature's Head.

In spite of the things I would change, I really do love my little home and am grateful that I made the decision to go tiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment